Utah Coalition for Protecting Childhood (UCPC)
Strategy 3: Provide quality care and education early in life.
Approach 1 - Increase access to early childhood/preschool education and enrichment opportunities
- Increase awareness of and participation in affordable, quality preschool options through organizations like Waterford Upstart and Head Start.
- Educate business owners and engage employers as part of the information pipeline to connect working parents to affordable, quality preschool programs.
Approach 2 - Increase uptake of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) at home, and in all educational settings statewide
- Increase parental engagement in SEL within the school setting.
- Provide parents with the support and education they need to understand and implement SEL principles within their homes.
- Partner with the Utah State Board of Education to increase awareness of the long-term benefits of SEL on child health, education, and opportunity outcomes across the lifespan.
Approach 3 - Improve the quality of child care through licensing and accreditation
- Support the Department of Workforce Services, Office of Childcare, and other partners working to improve the implementation of a Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) for all childcare programs.
- Educate business owners and engage employers as part of the information pipeline to connect working parents to affordable, quality childcare.
Key strategy partners
These strategies align well with strategies/recommendations of the following agencies’ plans:
VIPP: "Encourage social norms that promote safety and health IGP: Continue investment in improving early childhood program quality."
IGP: "Continue investment in improving early childhood program quality."
DHHS: "Improve outcomes through individual and family involvement, inter agency collaboration, public/private alliances and community support."
OUR: "Provide more support for childcare offices and programs, including a review of licensing requirements."
VIPP: Violence and Injury Prevention Program at the Utah Department of Health.
IGP: Intergenerational Poverty Commission at the Department of Workforce Services.
DHHS: Department of Health and Human Services.
OUR: One Utah Roadmap.